Sunday, January 9, 2011

ACTION - 41 hours

Football - 24 August 2010 - 1.5 hours
My first football practice wasn’t bad; all we did was some drills and then play a game. Throughout the practice I tried not to say too much, I only knew 2 or 3 of the people on the team so I didn’t want to say anything to some of my teammates that would offend them or anything. When we were playing a game tried to just play for fun, I tend to get very competitive and everyone seemed to just be getting used to playing. I was up front with Fleur, I hadn’t spoken to her before that game but by the end of practice we were playing together really well, it always takes a while to get used to other peoples playing styles especially since in Brunei everyone plays 7 a side games whereas I have been playing 11 a side.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
undertaken new challenges
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 31 August 2010 - 1.5 hours
Today at practice there were even more new faces, it made it even more difficult for me to remember people’s names because there were so many people I didn’t know. Practice was pretty much like last week, I was quite annoyed though because I just couldn’t do anything today, my passing was horrible, and my shots were all off, I didn’t know what was happening but then there was one part where we got a corner and I crossed it in and someone passed it back to me, I don’t know but I just felt like taking a shot and it was amazing, from outside the left edge of the box the ball curved into the top right corner of the goal, that made me feel so much better because before that I made the same shot from the other side I just messed it up completely and I was getting really annoyed I couldn’t score. There were also times when the younger players didn’t know what they were doing and it really frustrated me but they were new so I couldn’t really blame them.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 7 September 2010 - 1.5 hours
We found out that we are playing an Australian team in two weeks time so we’re going to be playing full pitch for the next two weeks. I’m basically the only player on the team who has ever played full pitch because everyone here plays half pitch games because that’s what they play in FOBISSEA. The team has good players but it’s amazing that the majority of the team is really young. Today was like last week we had drills then we played a full pitch game instead of the usual half pitch.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 14 September 2010 - 1.5 hours
Practice was more serious today, our game is tomorrow so we just warmed up and then we started a game but it wasn’t a proper game it was more like a way what the coaches could tell us what we were doing wrong and what we were doing well. It was so we knew what to do in a game situation when something happened.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football (Game) - 15 September 2010 - 1.5 hours
The game today was absolutely horrible, I haven’t been thrashed that badly in a football game since Kinnick in 9th grade (yr10), those girls were amazing, I mean oh my lord, once upon a time I wanted to play football professionally and after playing against those girls I would have no chance one thing alone they’re HUGE, like they’re well built and tall I felt like such a bloody weakling playing against them and I could even kick HALF as far as them and I’m pretty much the strongest kicker on the team here… They were really nice though and they played a clean game and they were far better than us there’s no question about it, they were fitter, faster, stronger, bigger, and better in every way. From this game I’ve learnt that I really need to get way more fit and start exercising more.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 21 September 2010 - 1.5 hours
Well this practice was a “you need to get fitter” practice, basically because of the game it showed how unfit we were. For the whole practice we were running and doing push-ups, jumping jacks and crunches. Oh my lord I felt I was about to die, I’m really unfit I always have been I’ve never been able to run for long since I was like 3 I’ve never been able to I can try as hard as I can but it just doesn’t work. I can sprint but I hope that this will help me because my fitness is a big setback for me in football I have the skills to do whatever basically but I don’t have the fitness to keep playing my best for the entire game.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 5 October 2010 - 1.5 hours
We’re continuing the fitness thing and I cannot honestly say it’s easier; the field is so hard to run on! I have really weak ankles and every step I take makes me feel like I’m going to twist my ankle. In a way having a bad field is good because then I learn how to be more careful when I run. Since last week we’ve started playing half pitch games again so that makes games easier. Before we started playing games we had some passing drills it was like a 3 vs. 2 thing and for every ball you got stolen off you by a defender you’d have to do 5 push-ups and I was one of the defenders and oh it felt so good to steal all the passes and tallying up the number of push-ups people had to do, I felt so evil. We did this a few times then we just played a game, I had a really good team today and it was so nice to play with good team-mates because the flow of the game is so much better, I don’t have to worry about the defence not being able to tackle their striker, or the strikers not being able to take a good enough shot to score.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 12 October 2010 - 1.5 hours
Practice started off with the usual warm up fitness thing, I thought I’d try run differently this week(on my toes) and it was really a lot easier but I could only run on my toes on the hard surface because the soft spots felt too scary for me. I actually do feel fitter and that it probably because I’m starting to run a half hour every other day and football is definitely helping as well. The Phuket football competition is coming up and since I’m not going I’m assigned to go with Ms. Hancox to help out the less experienced players, most of them hadn’t played football much before so they’d never basic football skills. It was quite a boring first half of practice for me because nothing we were doing was really that challenging I would have preferred to be helping out with the Phuket team but I’d probably be bored there doing nothing other than standing on the side lines saying/thinking what they should be doing.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
undertaken new challenges
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 26 October 2010 - 1.5 hours
This practice was basically a repeat of last week but there were new students today, they were in Yr 7 and they were going to be playing in the under 13 on JIS football funday. They’re a very small team, in height and in the number of players, they’re not bad and they’re all very happy and energetic. One of the players aishya, she’s in Yr 8 and she’s this small little thing but she’s really good, she reminds me of a girl that used to play on the year below in my old school years ago, she has so much potential and I really want to see that develop.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football - 2 November 2010 - 1.5 hours
JIS Football Funday is this weekend so we were doing a few plays and stuff like that. We practiced throw in and how they would control the ball from a throw in and what they should do if they lost the ball and all that stuff. I didn’t really do a lot of playing I was just offering my “expertise” haha. I was just trying to help them and teach them what to do in that sort of situation. We had some defensive and offensive drills, they’re pretty good for an U13 team.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Football – 16 November 2010 - 1.5 hours
This was the first practice for a while that I got to play with older people. FOBISSEA is this weekend so the team needed to be pretty serious during practice and play well. At first I was pretty serious but then I just got frustrated that everyone was just messing around so I just couldn’t be bothered so I just played for fun. They’re a really good team and I hope that during FOBISSEA they will play seriously because when they play well they are pretty amazing.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth

WALKATHON - … … 2010 - 3 hours??
Oh my god, waking up so early on a weekend should not be allowed, we got there 7 because we were told it would start at seven then we got there we waited for like 40 minutes and then stretched for 20 minutes then started walking, everyone was walking so slowly! And the walk was so short I was expecting a full on few hours of walking sweat-dripping walking but nothing I got bored walking with my friends and I just started walking ahead of everyone. I’m glad I participated since it was for a good cause and everything but I wish it was more active. It’s ok though we got ice cream at the end:].
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth

Sports Day – 6 October 2010 - 3 hours
Today was not a good day, I was put in the 1500m race and I came last god I felt so pathetic I hated it, I didn’t even want to run but then being yellow house captain(ew yellow) it was basically an obligation since we didn’t have enough girls. After everything we did the only award I got was 2nd in javelin and that really sucked, I mean for heats in the 100 m sprints I got 2nd place but then my time wasn’t fast enough for me to place in the finals and jeez that was so sad, I felt really pathetic I mean for someone who used to be a sprinter it was really pathetic. All the other stuff wasn’t that big of a deal since I’ve never really done much else in athletics other than javelin and sprinting, I’ve always been horrible with jumps and that was basically all the other individual events we did.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
undertaken new challenges
worked collaboratively with others

School Trip (Temburong) - 9 ~ 12 October 2010 - 12 hours
Temburong was the hardest three days of my life. The first day
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
undertaken new challenges
worked collaboratively with others
developed new skills

Rugby - 17 Jan 2011 - 1.5 hours
I joined rugby expecting it to be touch rugby as that was what the club said but instead of touch it has been changed to tackle. I was the only girl playing and there was a lot of mud today. I haven't played rugby for about 3-4 years but getting back into wasn't hard, it didn't even feel like it had been that long since i last played. We did some drills where we had to tackle people and drop to the ground and everything, that was really weird for me since I'm one of those people that do not fall down, in any sport i play I always stay on my feet. That's why I wasn't good at volleyball because I would slide to get the ball unlike others. It was so weird voluntarily dropping to the ground and I did not want to be in the mud. I was the cleanest person out of everyone but that was partly because I would wipe the mud off me whenever I had the chance. At the end of the day though I basically gave up trying to stay clean, the field was in dreadful condition and as it had been raining earlier there was no way I was going to be able to stay clean. I found out I made player of the week, I was quite surprised because I wasn't as good as most of the guys but it was ok.

Rugby - 24 Jan 2011 - 1.5 hours
This practice was less muddy, we ran 2 laps around the field and did a lot of fitness work. Some of the less experienced boys were quite frustrating since they kept dropping the ball so everyone of us were punished. It's ok at least this will make me fitter. I was really surprised I could run 2 laps around the field non-stop normally I'm dying after two laps maybe all the sports I've been doing is paying off.

 
Basketball - 20 Jan 2011 - 1.5 hours
Today was the first time I'd played basketball in about a year, it wasn't a proper practice I was just helping out with the Under 13 team but while I was playing I was just thinking "Oh my lord, what am i doing?!" I love basketball but unlike football it's not as easy to get into, in football whatever team your in, the game is always pretty much the same, but in basketball you play differently dependent on your coach. When I first started playing in Japan it took me so long to adjust because they played so differently there luckily with my experience in Japan I'm a lot more adaptable with basketball. I was a lot more fit than I expected, I was trying to push myself but my shooting was still off. It was a fun practice and even though I felt kind of lost at some points I felt that for the first time back in the game I did alright.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others

Basketball - 3 Feb 2011 - 2 hours
Practice was quite relaxing today, there were parts where I was getting kind of tired and times when I just got really frustrated because at the end I was playing with the younger girls to help them and they were just, yeh. This week was better than the other I was better at knowing where I was meant to be. It's cool how quickly things come back to you, even after not doing something for a long time. For example, we were practicing free throws and it's been soo long since I'd taken once but I remember my follow up and everything and I could still get my shots in. I guess the whoel muscle memory is actually true for normal people and not just proper athletes.
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
worked collaboratively with others
increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
undertaken new challenges
worked collaboratively with others

No comments:

Post a Comment